Friday, July 21, 2017

Making the Mini-backpack--an adventure in sewing a small bag

It all started when I found a mini-backpack to use as my new purse. I liked the shiny gold studs on the outer pocket. But even more than that, I liked its size. I wanted to make myself more mini-backpacks. Maybe I could make something really nice (and also washable!)

Black mini-backpack
The new purse

So I drew up a pattern, with approximate measurements, and decided to go ahead and put one together using fabric from a second-hand tablecloth and a zipper from the plastic case that a sheet came in. It was about the right length, and I already had it.


The pattern pieces and resulting list of steps.

I did have a bit of a problem with regard to pressing the seams. After ironing the pieces, and getting the straps made and the zipper installed, I discovered that my right arm was starting to hurt again. My frozen right shoulder has gotten past the freezing stage (stage 1), and though the shoulder no longer hurts, I still have limited range of motion. Trying to handle a heavy iron on the (relatively) high surface of the ironing board was probably too much. So I didn't press the rest of the seams, except with my fingers.

I didn't include the seam allowance (1/4", which isn't much) in the pattern pieces, and the result of eyeballing it was that my pattern pieces didn't match precisely. Or even close to precisely. Clearly that is one of the areas for improvement.

The pieces after I stitched the zipper and straps.

Here is the resulting backpack. You can see that the backpack is floppy (no surprise) and can't stand up. That's another thing to fix.

Floppy mini-backpack

Then a photo of it stuffed with air pillows (the kind used in packaging).

Stuffed mini-backpack

Here is my daughter modeling the mini-backpack. Area for improvement #3--make the straps adjustable (and longer.)

Girl wearing home-sewn mini-backpack

One other thing I might change next time is the order in which I put the pieces together. Maybe I should try attaching the bottom to the sides, then the front and back, instead of starting by attaching the sides to the front and back, then adding the bottom. I'll have to think about it.

While I'm writing about sewing, I'd like to mention three of my favorite sewing tools. Everyone knows how useful a seam ripper can be, and I certainly use it a lot. I also have a magnetic pin case. It helps me scoop up a lot of loose pins at a time, and keeps them from spilling. Finally, I highly recommend quilting rulers if you need to cut squares and rectangles, or mark lines at right angles. It doesn't just help with sewing, either--it's good when you need to draw lines on paper. No more having to mark lengths on top and bottom, right and left side, before drawing the lines.

My favorite sewing tools

Back to the mini-backpack. Here's the list of improvements for next time:

1) Include seam allowance on pattern pieces and make sure they match up.

2) Find a way to stiffen the back piece.

3) Make straps longer and adjustable.

4) Try a different order of operations.

5) Finish seams and/or add a lining.

6) Extra pockets!! Outside or inside. Or both.

At this point, you might be wondering why I didn't just get a pattern for a mini-backpack off the internet. I know they are out there. All I can really say is--I wanted it to be a particular size, with a zipper top, and maybe I didn't want to search for a pattern that fit those criteria. Or maybe I just like constructing patterns. (I was going to say "reconstructing", but if you look closely you will notice I did not actually follow the pattern used for the original black bag.)

No idea when I'll make version 2. I still haven't gotten to the next version of the grocery bag.









No comments:

Post a Comment