Friday, September 1, 2017

Growing Out Violas--a past foray into plant selection

Back in 2007-2010, I was intrigued by violas, those smaller cousins of the pansy. They come in such a variety of colors and patterns (though not quite as many colors as pansies), and their flowers, though smaller than pansies, are more numerous and less liable to flop over.

They have the additional feature that in this climate, one can plant them in fall and they often survive the winter and bloom again beautifully in spring. (They don't survive the summer--whether due to heat or the natural limits of their lifespan I'm still not sure.)

If you don't deadhead them, many will form seedpods after blooming, and for some reason I decided to save seeds with the idea of selecting for interesting flowers in the next generation. I didn't actually try to cross flowers with each other--that would have required a much greater level of effort. I just picked interesting plants and saved seeds from them in small labeled envelopes.

Trays of viola seedlings just starting to bloom.

Then I planted them out. In 2010 I planted quite a lot of them. (Were all these saved seeds? Did I really get some flowers that were so dark?)

It was fun seeing what colors showed up. The yellow ones, as I recall, tended to produce just yellow offspring, and the one called "Peach Frost" also seemed to produce more like itself.
"Peach Frost", I think.

Unfortunately, as I look back at what passes for a Garden Log, I discover that I kept terrible notes. No system. What did "5b" mean? Did I just pick some viola, whether something I bought or a random volunteer (I got quite a few volunteers) and give it a number? Or was "5" its parent? Was I just trying to label the picture for the next year's seed?
The mysterious "5b".

The other problem was that I really didn't have anything to aim for. No special color that isn't already easily available, and as for patterns... as far as I can tell, blue-and-cream combinations depend greatly on time, temperature, or both. A viola that looks fabulous at first can have very boring flowers later in the season and vice versa. A nice-looking bloom can change as it ages, getting more or less interesting as it does. So while I picked flowers that I liked, I had no basis for selecting among their offspring.

An interesting purple-and-white combination--for now.

I did try, briefly, to evaluate the scent of the violas, since I like fragrant flowers. I bought varieties that were supposed to have some fragrance, and checked to see if I liked them. But even when violas have a fragrance, it's pretty mild. And it's hard to smell a flower that's so close to the ground.

To top it off, perceived fragrance varies with the temperature and maybe some other conditions as well. I know this is the case because I choose roses as much by fragrance as by appearance, and I have to keep in mind that some days I can hardly smell anything from even moderately fragrant roses, while other days the scents are much more pronounced. (I think individuals also vary in how well they perceive specific scents. No wonder catalog descriptions are so useless when it comes to fragrance.)

Looking back on my foray into viola selection, I rather miss the excitement of seeing that first flower and comparing it to its parent (the known parent). Maybe I should plant violas from saved seed again, even if I'm only doing it from idle curiosity. But first, I'll need to save some seeds.

I guess that's as good a reason as any to buy more plants this fall.

Till next post.

3 comments:

  1. I love violas. They overwinter here too. I am going to have to get some into my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violas reseed themselves here and love being by the eucalyptus acidic soil. I've had some eek it through summer, but not sure any are going to make it in this summer of 100F+ heat. It's fun to find they have travelled to a different flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have acidic soil too (pine trees, etc, not eucalyptus.) Once in a while one would pop up in the "lawn" (which is mostly weeds and crabgrass), but not recently. I've noticed I can't get nasturtiums to grow worth anything and have wondered if acidity is the problem. Can you grow nasturtiums in your soil?

      Delete