Saturday, March 10, 2018

Acanthus Scrolls, Florentine Papers, and Decorated Tuckboxes




For the past couple of weeks, I have been fascinated by acanthus scroll designs. It started when I received some address labels that reminded me of the scroll-like design on a box of fancy stationery. I pulled the box out and started trying to imitate the design, without much success.

 
Box of stationery covered with Florentine paper with leafy scrollwork
Stationery box with Florentine paper cover
 
There is a tangle pattern (ZentangleTM) called “Icanthis”. It gets its name from the acanthus leaf, which shows up in stylized form all over the place. The design on the stationery box was a kind of leaf-like scroll, but not very much like the Icanthis tangle. So I turned to the internet. “Acanthus leaf”, “foliage scrolls”, “acanthus scroll”, and so on. There were all sorts of interesting images.

One thing I found out is that the paper I so admired is probably made by Rossi, a company in Florence, Italy. Such beautiful designs and colors! And of course, there are the accents in powdered gold—I think I may have said before that I like shiny things?

I also found tutorials on making two somewhat different types of acanthus scroll. One is a webpage on "Acanthus Drawing" by “Maitresse Yvianne". I had a lot of fun trying out the design. I made a card and a tuckbox (photos below), but I didn’t add the turned-up leaf tips. I’ll have to try that another time. The other was a post in a blog called "The Calligraphy Pen". This style makes a nice border.

While working on these, I drew acanthus scroll type designs all over the place, trying to find the ones I liked best.

Sheets of paper with sketches of acanthus scroll patterns
Acanthus scroll sketches


Eventually I decided to make some samples from the Yvianne tutorial, in part because it is a little easier. If you skip the turned-over leaf tips, you don’t even need pencil guidelines (though I used guidelines to get nice curves on the scroll.)

Pencil guidelines on card
Pencil guidelines

Acanthus scrolls inked over pencil guidelines on card
Drawn in ink

Acanthus scrolls on card colored with colored pencil
Colored with colored pencil


I didn’t really like the way the pencil coloring turned out. Maybe I should have used different colors, or just colored it more simply. So I decided to use watercolor for the next one and make a tuckbox (see Make Your Own Tuckbox).

Tuckbox paper pattern with pencil guidelines
Pencil guidelines on cut-out tuckbox

Tuckbox paper pattern with acanthus scrolls
Drawn in ink

Tuckbox paper pattern with acanthus scrolls and watercolor
Colored with watercolor.

Tuckbox with acanthus scroll design
The finished tuckbox.


Maybe I will use a gold gel pen on the next one and add some dots or squiggles. I like this design, but I left a lot of empty space. I think this style of scroll would look nice at the top of a letter, or maybe on a nameplate, but to turn it into decorative paper would require adding a lot of extra loops and flowers and details.

Of course, that could be fun, too.

Till next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment