|The worst of the damage|
|The hamper and the fabric|
The green upholstery fabric was very stiff and thick. Since I planned for the cover to fit under the lid (a tight squeeze, given that the inner lining also has to fit through there), I used the thin white sheet cotton for the upper part.
Even so, the piece turned out to extend too far around. It bunched up by the hinge. I needed to make a cut-out. Being lazy, I just folded and stitched those corners so it tapered up to the top.
|Too much fabric at the hinges|
To hold the cover on, I attached elastic to one side and used buttons on the other. I hope that it will be enough. If our black cat claws it too vigorously, she might manage to pull the cover down. In that case, I will have to add further features. For now, it folds over the hamper at the rim, goes partway under the lid, and is pulled tight at the sides using elastic.
|The cover is pulled tight using elastic at the back|
You may notice the elastic isn't very straight. I had a lot of trouble with the buttonhole, which I didn't understand since I have made buttonholes on that machine before without trouble. I thought maybe the thickness of the nearby seam was somehow involved, and moved the buttonhole further away from the edges. What I should have done was to look up the error code in the manual. "E5" means that someone pressed the start button while the foot was plugged in. Duh! I didn't realize that caused an error, because I rarely use the start button. I could have saved myself a lot of aggravation.
The hamper cover is now finished, at least until the cat tears it down. I'm not really into draping furniture with fabric, but I think it looks rather nice. I'd prefer the wicker, but as a second best option, I'm pleased.
|The finished hamper cover|